Mr. Chapin is a veteran trial lawyer whose individual and class action practice includes unfair business practices, professional negligence, insurance coverage, toxic torts, serious personal injury and wrongful death matters.
There are not enough words to express my gratitude. Thanks to Ed Chapin I have my life back. The situation I was dealing with made me feel trapped and that I had little control over my life. Everything at work is so much better now. I have peace. The years of pain and difficulty I had lived with are finally over. Now I can just do my job. It is amazing to me how much better my life is. Ed truly cared and listened to every step of the way and I knew I was in good hands. This was one of the scariest times in my life and now I can say my future feels bright and I have a feeling of peace and security. I am so grateful. J.W., Former Client
Dear Ed, I want to start off with a sincere apology for not thanking you and your hardworking team for everything you have done for myself, and all of the other wonderful ladies. My gratitude to you all is beyond words and although there is still pain, I am so thankful that I had you as a voice. Hearing about our collective victory against these horrible people really evokes extreme emotions. I have been processing this entire experience and I should have responded to your email much quicker. You have changed my life. You have changed all of our lives. You gave us all a chance to fight against something that was wrong and I appreciate you more than anything. So thank you again, I will never forget what you’ve done for me and I am grateful for having people like you out in this world. I truly love you all. A Former Client
David Sanford called me on Super Bowl Sunday (imagine that!) to let me know that Sanford Heisler Sharp would represent me. From start to finish, my legal team, Russell Kornblith, Ed Chapin, Adán Martinez and Natalie Chew, demonstrated its intricate knowledge and interpretation of employment law, specifically the risks and psychology of my employer’s strategy. As the case progressed quickly and constructively, I felt understood and respected throughout each step of the journey. The outcome was beyond what I could have imagined! I thank Sanford Heisler Sharp in my heart every time I read about them in the press. Just be thankful that they are on YOUR side and not the opposing counsel! Former Banking Executive
I highly recommend Ed Chapin with Sanford Heisler Sharp. Ed Chapin was there for me at my most vulnerable time in life. He and his team handled my case with extreme care and sensitivity. Instead of feeling like a mere client who represents financial gain to a law firm, I truly felt that I was treated with the same care and respect as would be given to a close family member or friend. Knowing Ed’s outstanding trial history and many decades of experience helped to give me a peace of mind through a stressful process. Ed truly went above and beyond to get me the justice I deserved. He has the utmost standards of professionalism, fairness, and dedication in his dealings with clients. If it wasn’t for Ed, I know that I wouldn’t have my confidence or voice back. He truly believed in me and fought tirelessly to get me the closure I needed. Ed Chapin is without question one of the best attorneys in the country and equally as noble of a man. A Former Client
Ed Chapin is the Managing Partner in the San Diego office of Sanford Heisler Sharp, LLP, a national law firm with offices in the District of Columbia, New York, California, Tennessee, and Maryland. Ed received his J.D. from the University of Missouri School of Law and his B.S. from Southwest Missouri State University.
Ed is a veteran litigator whose practice spans class actions, unfair business practices, professional negligence, insurance coverage, bad faith, toxic torts, serious personal injury, and wrongful death. His service in the U.S. military and long-standing ties to the greater San Diego community enable him to provide exemplary counsel to clients seeking representation in a range of matters. Across an illustrious 45-plus-year legal career, he has taken more than 100 cases to trial in federal and state courts
Ed was the lead trial counsel in the recent GirlsDoPorn.com civil lawsuit, where 22 female plaintiffs across the U.S. alleged the website’s owners, operators and associated businesses exploited them after answering modeling advertisements on Craigslist. Ed and his team were able to secure a nearly $13 million award after a 99-day bench trial in California Superior Court. The Court also granted the Plaintiffs all rights to their videos and issued an injunction that the defendants are prohibited from distributing the likenesses, images or videos of the plaintiffs. Further, defendants must remove all of the videos that they’ve produced and posted on the Internet involving the Plaintiffs. Midway through the trial, the three individuals involved in the GirlsDoPorn operation were indicted by a federal grand jury for sex trafficking and other charges. Two of the individuals are in custody while one remains a fugitive.
In 2018, Ed secured final approval of a $4 million settlement for Beth Burns, the winningest coach in San Diego State University’s women’s basketball history. His litigation acumen in this very public jury trial that focused on SDSU’s Title IX violations highlights how even the most powerful institutions can be made to take responsibility for the damage they cause to individual’s careers and overall wellbeing.
He has been involved in the leadership of professional and civic organizations at the local, state, and national levels, including serving as president of the San Diego Chapter and the statewide California Chapters of the American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA). He also served for over 20 years on the ABOTA National Board. He is the former Vice President of the San Diego County Bar Association. Ed has spoken at continuing legal education and trial advocacy seminars sponsored by the San Diego County Bar Association, American Board of Trial Advocates, California Continuing Education of the Bar, Litigation Section California State Bar Association, Association of Business Trial Lawyer Association, and the Rutter Group.
Ed has received many significant professional awards including the Daniel T. Broderick Award for “epitomizing the highest principles of civility, integrity and professionalism” presented by ABOTA, the Association of Business Trial Lawyers, Consumer Attorneys of San Diego, San Diego Defense Lawyers and the San Diego County Bar Association. He received the Lifetime Achievement award presented by the San Diego Defense Lawyers and his undergraduate alma mater Missouri State University recognized him with its Outstanding Alumnus Award. In February 2018, was recognized as the Outstanding Trial Lawyer for 2017 by the Consumer Attorneys of San Diego.
Ed has been named one of the prestigious Best Lawyers in America every year since 1989 and earned a Super Lawyers ranking every year since 2007.
- J.D., University of Missouri School of Law, Columbia, 1972
- B.S., Southwest Missouri State University, 1964
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- U.S. Court of International Trade
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- California Bar Association
- San Diego County Bar Association (SDCBA)
- American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA)
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers (ABTL)
- American Association for Justice (AAJ)
- Consumer Attorneys of California (CAOC)
- Consumer Attorneys of San Diego (CASD)
- Enright Inn of Court (EIOC)
- Awarded Three Bronze Stars, Combat Infantry Badge, Air Medal and Army Commendation Medal during Vietnam Service
- Line Officer in United States Army Infantry Unit, Germany 1964-1968
- Ground Combat Service, U.S. First Infantry Division, South Vietnam 1967-1968
The women allege they were exploited by the defendants after answering modeling advertisements on Craigslist. When Plaintiffs submitted their personal information to sham modeling websites (such as www.beginmodeling.com), they became targets of Defendants’ fraudulent recruiting scheme for www.girlsdoporn.com.
Sanford Heisler Sharp, LLP represents Siddharth Breja in his whistleblower retaliation and wrongful termination claims against JUUL Labs, Inc.
The plaintiff is former Ogletree equity partner Tracy Warren, who filed the representative action on behalf of herself and other similarly situated current or former female attorneys employed in California at the storied defense-side labor and employment firm. Ms. Warren filed the action under the California Labor Code Private Attorneys General Act of 2004 (PAGA).
The complaint asserts that Ogletree uses a number of tactics to shortchange female shareholders in pay and promotions. The firm manipulates allocation of origination credits by unfairly attributing such credits to male shareholders, even when women at the firm are the ones who bring in the client.
The Complaint, which is filed on behalf of three female associates currently employed at MoFo, alleges the international law firm practices systemic gender discrimination against female lawyers, particularly those who are pregnant or have children.
In the fight to protect investors from stockbroker misconduct, Sanford Heisler Sharp has obtained a $2.1 million FINRA arbitration award on behalf of a San Diego client whose investment nest egg was decimated by an imprudent, high-risk investment strategy that her stockbroker David Barber had recommended.
According to the complaint, Home Depot has selected multiple poorly-performing funds for its 401(k) plan, allowed investment advisers to charge its employees unreasonable fees, and turned a blind eye to a kickback scheme between an investment adviser and the plan’s recordkeeper.
The Complaint asserts that GE and the Plan violated the Federal Employee Retirement Security Act (ERISA) by breaching their fiduciary duties and engaging in prohibited transactions and unlawful self-dealing detrimental to the three named plaintiffs individually and as representatives of a class.
The claim alleges Madison Avenue Securities alleging the firm turned a blind eye in allowing one of its stockbrokers who had a disciplinary history of misappropriating clients’ funds to loot hundreds of thousands of dollars from client’s account.
The popular women’s basketball head coach was terminated by San Diego State University with four years left on her new 5-year contract after the women’s Aztecs basketball team completed a record-breaking 27-win season. The institution initially claimed its decision to remove Burns was based on her actions during a 2013 home game between her Aztecs and Colorado State University, during which she had incidental physical contact with a male assistant coach on the Aztecs’ bench during the heat of the close game.
- Home Depot, Workers Both Seek Early Win In 401(k) Class Suit
- Benchmark Litigation Reviews – Sanford Heisler Sharp
- On the trail of a former Christchurch pornographer
- FBI, lawyers hunt New Zealand pornographer
- ‘They’re con artists and scoundrels’: NZ best friends built GirlsDoPorn empire on lies and deception
- GirlsDoPorn: Young women win legal battle over video con
- GirlsDoPorn Facing $13 Million Fine for “Tricking” Women into Filming Adult Scenes
- 22 Women Just Won $13 Million In Massive Porn Scam Lawsuit
- Judge awards $13 million to women who say they were tricked into pornography
- A Group Of Women Sued Girls Do Porn For Coercing Them Into Doing Videos. Now They Own All The Rights.
- Judge awards 22 women $12.7 million in porn case
- Judge Awards Millions to Plaintiffs in ‘Fraudulent’ Porn Scheme
- Women Lured By Modeling Gigs, Coerced Into Porn, Win $13M In Lawsuit
- Porn Website Nears $12.8M Trial Loss For Tricking Models
- GirlsDoPorn operators must pay 22 women $12.8M for posting videos
- Women win $13M in lawsuit against porn site in California
- Girls Do Porn Has to Pay Millions in Damages for Coercing Women Into Porn
- Judge Awards Nearly $13 Million to Women Who Say They Were Exploited by Porn Producers
- 22 women win $13 million in suit against GirlsDoPorn videos
- Women Win $13 Million in GirlsDoPorn Fraud Suit
- GirlsDoPorn Plaintiffs Set a Price Tag on Their Humiliation
- Jane Does Ask for Millions in Porn Fraud Trial
- Trial Over Alleged San Diego Porn Scheme Comes To An End
- Porn Fraud Civil Trial to Continue Despite Criminal Charges
- 2020 Benchmark Litigation Labor & Employment Star - West in the practice area of Labor & Employment
- 2020 California Trailblazer
- 2020 Lawdragon 500 Plaintiff Employment Lawyer
- 2019 National Law Journal Employment Trailblazer
- 2019 Benchmark Litigation Labor & Employment Star - West in the practice area of Labor & Employment
- 2018 Benchmark Litigation Labor & Employment Star - West in the practice area of Labor & Employment
- Trial Lawyer of the Year Finalist, Consumer Attorneys of California
- Trial Lawyer of the Year by Consumer Attorneys of San Diego
- 1989–2021 Best Lawyers in America
- One of the Top 50 San Diego Super Lawyers for 2008, 2009, 2015, 2017-2018
- Super Lawyers 2007-2021
- Lifetime Achievement Award by the San Diego Defense Lawyers
- Outstanding Alumnus Award, Missouri State University
- National Board of Directors of American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA), 1989 – 2010
- Chaired committees which developed the ABOTA Principles of Civility, Integrity and Professionalism
- Chaired committees which developed the ABOTA Protocol for Responding to Unfair Media Criticism of Judges