Russell Kornblith is the New York Managing Partner who works on both qui tam / whistleblower cases and on discrimination cases. He received his law degree from Harvard Law School in 2012.
This was an experience I never anticipated going through and, not surprisingly, a personal as well as professional challenge. I'm so glad I had the expertise --and wisdom-- of you and your team to count on. An Attorney Client
I would like to share my experience and spread the word about my “attorney extraordinaire”, Russell Kornblith. Russell represented me and helped attain a settlement that was better than expected. As an attorney, Russell is dynamic, knowledgeable, reliable, approachable and much more. He has great communication skills and an approach which is practical and realistic. What makes Russell stand apart from others is his compassionate nature. I never felt alone. Russell stood by my side during turbulent times. There were dreary days where I would get frustrated and wanted to give up and, every single time, Russell was available to walk me through various scenarios, provide encouragement, empathize with me and always buck me up. Russell’s availability, willingness to listen and empathetic approach turned a very difficult and unpleasant process into a bearable experience. There were innumerable times where Russell would respond to my distressed emails past midnight. Knowing that I had a powerful, strong attorney standing by my side brought a huge sense of relief. During a difficult and complicated encounter, Russell came as a breath of fresh air when I was feeling extremely suffocated. A Former Client
I'm eternally grateful to Russell, Alok and Kate for their impressive work with my case. I expected outstanding legal service based on the firm's reputation and track record. In addition, the team brought compassion and a strategic approach to managing the case, which ultimately brought a longstanding matter to a close. I've worked with numerous employment law firms in my profession, and I would unhesitatingly refer clients and friends to the team at Sanford Heisler Sharp. A Former Client
Based upon Sanford Heisler’s reputation, I expected outstanding legal service. However, I cannot express how much I respect and appreciate the skill and compassion David, Russell, and Nicole demonstrated every single day. With their expert guidance and attention, they made an otherwise very difficult process tolerable. The Sanford Heisler team always made me believe the fight was worthwhile! Thank you all so much! General Counsel
If you are reading this, you are likely in the midst of a very difficult journey. I know, because I went through it myself, and I am here to tell you that if you stay positive and trust your Sanford Heisler Sharp team, the road can be transformational and yield amazing results. . . . Russell and Meredith fought for me, and also held my hand throughout the process, during which I experienced some of the lowest lows of my life. We spoke almost every day, to the point where I was very sad to see our relationship end (although they will always be in my life because I'll never stop emailing them :)). Most importantly, they got me to the best possible resolution for me. My path has taken a sharp turn for the better, and they had a huge part to play in that fact. You will be OK at the end of this because you have Sanford Heisler Sharp; trust the process and know that life is infinitely better on the other side of an environment that is holding you back from realizing your full potential in life. Anonymous
David Sanford called me on Super Bowl Sunday (imagine that!) to let me know that Sanford Heisler Sharp would represent me. From start to finish, my legal team, Russell Kornblith, Ed Chapin, Adán Martinez,and Natalie Chew, demonstrated its intricate knowledge and interpretation of employment law, specifically the risks and psychology of my employer’s strategy. As the case progressed quickly and constructively, I felt understood and respected throughout each step of the journey. The outcome was beyond what I could have imagined! I thank Sanford Heisler Sharp in my heart every time I read about them in the press. Just be thankful that they are on YOUR side and not the opposing counsel! Former Banking Executive
Russell Kornblith is the New York Managing Partner of Sanford Heisler Sharp, LLP, a national law firm with offices in the District of Columbia, New York, California, Tennessee, and Maryland. Russell received his J.D. cum laude from Harvard Law School and his B.A. magna cum laude from Amherst College.
Russell practices both employment law and whistleblower law, representing individuals and classes in a wide range of disputes, including claims of unlawful termination, unlawful denials of promotions, unequal pay, and hostile work environment, related to age, disability, gender, pregnancy, protected leave, and race. Russell also represents whistleblowers alleging fraud on the U.S. government under the False Claims Act and survivors of sexual assault.
Russell has been class counsel in nationwide gender discrimination cases against Merck & Co., Inc. and Western Digital, among others. He has also successfully represented individuals in a broad range of discrimination claims, including claims brought by in-house counsel, BigLaw attorneys, and executives other professionals in the advertising, consulting, energy, fashion, financial services, jewelry, healthcare, pharmaceutical, and technology industries. In addition, Russell has represented students in discrimination claims against educational institutions. Russell’s practice extends to both litigation matters and confidential settlement negotiations.
Russell has also successfully pursued whistleblower cases under the False Claims Act both alongside the government and on a non-intervened basis. Russell was co-lead counsel in the Temple St. Clair whistleblower action filed in U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York. The case is believed to be the first in the state to recover money for the federal government based on a company’s failure to properly mark its imported products with their country of origin. Russell likewise played a leading role in the Scripps Health System’s $1.5 million whistleblower settlement in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California, in which the whistleblower alleged Scripps unlawfully billed the federal government for physical therapy services on behalf of a physician who was not present when the services were rendered. In litigation, Russell obtained a First Circuit victory reversing a trial court’s dismissal of all claims in Nargol et al. v. DePuy Orthopaedics Inc. et al., which remains a leading precedent on the False Claims Act.
Prior to joining Sanford Heisler Sharp, Russell served as a law clerk for the Honorable Ronald Lee Gilman of the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit and for the Honorable James S. Gwin of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio. As part of Harvard Law School’s International Human Rights Clinic, he contributed to several amicus curiae briefs to the U.S. Supreme Court addressing the Alien Tort Statute on behalf of professors of legal history. Before law school, Russell worked as a researcher in support of the successful 2008 campaign of U.S. Senator Jeanne Shaheen.
- J.D., Harvard Law School, 2012, cum laude
- Exchange Fellow, l’École Normale Supérieure, 2006-07
- B.A., Amherst College, 2006, magna cum laude
- International Human Rights Clinic at Harvard Law School
- Honorable Ronald Lee Gilman, the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- Honorable James S. Gwin, the United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- California, 2013
- New York, 2015
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Tennessee
- Law360’s 2020 Legal Industry Editorial Advisory Board
- NELA/NY Amicus Committee
- Taxpayers Against Fraud
This gender discrimination class action against pharmaceutical giant Merck & Co., Inc. was originally filed by Plaintiff Kelli Smith in May 2013 in the U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey. In January 2014, four additional class representatives from around the country joined the suit as plaintiffs alleging pay, promotion and pregnancy discrimination against the company.
This case has been settled and the class settlement is pending court approval. If the Court approves, Western Digital will make a non-reversionary payment of $7.75 million to settle class claims for gender discrimination and unequal pay for female employees.
The complaint alleges that when Ms. Saltzman complained to EXL Board Member Clyde Ostler about the discrimination that she was personally experiencing, the company fired her.
The whistleblower alleged that the San Diego-based Scripps Health System unlawfully billed the United States Government for physical therapy services on behalf of a physician who was not present while the services were rendered. The case claimed that Scripps persisted in this conduct despite warnings from the whistleblower.
The case is thought to be the first in New York to recover money for the United States government based on the defendant’s failure to properly mark its products with their country of origin.
The complaint details how the Big Law firm’s culture harms female associates in compensation and partnership decisions.
Sanford Heisler Sharp, LLP brought whistleblower claims on behalf of Dr. Antoni Nargol and Dr. David Langton, two physicians and researchers who were first to uncover that medical-device company DePuy Orthopaedics manufactured and sold large numbers of defective hip implants to the government.
- Benchmark Litigation Reviews – Sanford Heisler Sharp
- In BigLaw Gender Bias Suits, Anonymity Is Fleeting
- Rising Star: Sanford Heisler’s Russell Kornblith
- Law360 Names Top Attorneys Under 40
- Law360’s 2020 Legal Industry Editorial Advisory Board
- Jones Day’s ‘Sleight Of Hand’ Draws Fire In Sex Bias Suit
- Ex-Jones Day Associates Blast Bid for Sanctions in Gender Bias Lawsuit
- Ex-Jones Day Attys Rip Sanctions Bid In Gender Bias Suit
- Sanford Heisler Sharp
- Female executive told ‘ladies’ should cut the cake sues firm for gender discrimination
- Supreme lawyer says CEO directs her to serve cake because she is a woman
- A high-ranking lawyer claims her CEO directed her to serve cake at a party because she’s a woman
- Ex-General Counsel Sues ExlService Holdings for Gender Discrimination, Retaliation
- Fired EXL Service General Counsel Seeks $20M for Gender Bias
- Sanford Heisler Sharp Files $20 Million Gender Discrimination and Retaliation Suit on Behalf of the Former General Counsel and Executive Vice President of EXL Service Holdings, Inc. Against the Company and Its Senior Officers
- Female Attorneys Hit Jones Day With $200M Bias Suit
- Sanford Heisler Sharp Files $200 Million+ Class and Collective Action Against Jones Day
- Law360’s Legal Industry Editorial Advisory Board
- Merck Can’t Sink Cert. In $250M Sex Bias Class Action
- Temple St. Clair to Pay Government $796K+ in Customs Case
- Law360 Names Attys Who Moved Up The Firm Ranks In Q1
- Scripps Health will pay $1.5M to settle whistleblower suit over billing errors
- Sanford Heisler Sharp Announces Promotions & New Leadership Roles
- J&J, DePuy To Face Partly Revived FCA Suit Over Hip Device
- 2020 Benchmark Litigation Labor & Employment Star - Northeast in the practice area of Labor & Employment
- 2020 New York Metro Super Lawyer Rising Star
- Law360 Rising Star for 2020
- 2020 Lawdragon 500 Plaintiff Employment Lawyer
- 2019 Benchmark Litigation Labor & Employment Star - Northeast in the practice area of Labor & Employment
- 2018 Benchmark Litigation Labor & Employment Star - Northeast in the practice area of Labor & Employment