Prior to joining the firm, James clerked for the Honorable Deborah A. Robinson, Magistrate Judge for the United States District Court for the District of Columbia.
“Sanford Heisler Sharp, LLP takes on righteous fights with skill and compassion. It is a privilege to be able to do this important work alongside such impressive colleagues.”
Our commitment to securing justice and providing the best representation possible is reflected in a commitment to diversity within our own firm. At Sanford Heisler Sharp, LLP, we know better than to think the best attorneys look alike, sound alike, think alike, or live alike. What matters is talent, and we hire the best talent available.
As a result, our team more accurately mirrors America. Women, minority, and/or openly gay lawyers make up the majority of our staff. A passion for social justice unites our team - we all work to use the power of law to help create and enforce a more just society.
James Hannaway is a Litigation Fellow in the Washington, DC office of Sanford Heisler Sharp, LLP, a national law firm with offices in the District of Columbia, New York, California, Tennessee, and Maryland. He received his J.D. from the George Washington University Law School and his B.A. from Carleton College.
Prior to joining the firm, James clerked for the Honorable Deborah A. Robinson, Magistrate Judge for the United States District Court for the District of Columbia. During law school, James served as an Articles Editor of The George Washington Law Review, Chapter President of the American Constitution Society, Student Attorney for the Public Justice Advocacy Clinic, and Organizing Committee Member of GW’s graduate worker union. He also worked as a Research Assistant for Associate Dean Alan B. Morrison and a Law Clerk at another national public interest law firm. Before law school, James worked on and eventually managed several electoral campaigns, and he worked as a crisis communications consultant.
- J.D., The George Washington University Law School, 2019, with Highest Honors, Order of the Coif
- B.A., Carleton College, 2010, cum laude
- Public Justice Advocacy Clinic
- Honorable Deborah A. Robinson, Magistrate Judge in the United States District Court for the District of Columbia
- District of Columbia, 2019
- Codifying the Agency Class Action, 87 GEO. WASH. L. REV. 1451 (2020)
- Standing on Shaky Ground: How Circuit Courts Reconcile Legal Rights and Injuries in Fact After Spokeo v. Robins, 87 GEO. WASH. L. REV. 706 (2019)
- A Review of The Cost-Benefit Revolution by Cass R. Sunstein; Carceral Capitalism by Jackie Wang, 87 GEO. WASH. L. REV. ARGUENDO 26 (2019)