Hate crimes are a manifestation of decades of discrimination and hateful rhetoric. Institutional racism and bias against the Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) community has long caused harm to so many, both in this country and abroad.
The time is overdue for our legal system to recognize its essential role in combating xenophobia and racism. In the wake of a year-long surge of hatred and violence against the AAPI community, the heinous murder of eight innocent people in Atlanta, six of whom were women of Asian descent, reminds us of the urgency with which we must act.
While we are proud of our history fighting bias and violence each day, we recommit to speaking out against injustice everywhere, condemning racism in all its forms, and elevating the voices of those who are part of the AAPI community.
Sanford Heisler Sharp, LLP (Executive Committee, Asian American Litigation and Finance Practice Group, Human Resources, Diversity & Inclusion Committee)
AAPI Support Resources
Mental Health Resources
- APISAA Therapist Directory
- Association of Asian Pacific Community Health Organizations: Mental Health and Substance Abuse Resource Guide
- National Asian American Pacific Islander Mental Health Association: AANHPI Service Providers in all Fifty States
- National Alliance on Mental Health: Identity and Cultural Dimensions – Asian American and Pacific Islander
- National Queer and Trans Therapists of Color Network
- Asian Pacific Fund COVID-19 Recovery Fund: donates directly to nonprofits serving the AAPI community.
- Asian Mental Health Collective: nonprofit with the mission of normalizing and de-stigmatizing mental health within the Asian community.
- Asian Pacific American Labor Alliance (APALA): first and only national organization of Asian American and pacific Islander workers and allies advancing workers’ rights, immigrants’ rights, and civil rights.
- NAKASEC: nonprofit aiming to expend Korean and Asian American grassroots and voting power, develop and support a new generation of youth and immigrant leaders, and solidify as a robust and sustainable movement organization.
- Asian American Journalists Association: nonprofit bringing together journalists and media professionals to advance diversity in newsrooms and ensure fair and accurate coverage of communities of color.
- Asian American Advancing Justice – Asian Law Caucus: aimed at promoting, advancing, and representing legal and civil rights of Asian Pacific Islander communities.
- Asian American Advocacy Fund: advocating for the civil and human rights of Asian Americans, Pacific Islanders, and Native Hawaiians in Georgia through a combination of policy advocacy at local, state, and federal levels.
- Bystander Intervention Training to Stop Anti-Asian/American and Xenophobic Harassment (Hollaback!): upcoming online trainings on April 13 and April 19.
- A Rising Tide of Hate and Violence against Asian Americans in New York During COVID-19: Impact, Causes, Solutions: whitepaper published by the Asian American Bar Association of New York.
- Discrimination and Violence Against Asian Americans: National Asian Pacific American Bar Association written statement for the record before the U.S. House of Representatives Subcommittee on the Constitution, Civil Rights, and Civil Liberties (March 23, 2021).
- Anti-Defamation League State-by-State Hate Crime Law Coverage: interactive map containing Hate Crime Statistics Act-reported data from the FBI from 2004-2019, an aggregation of hate crime laws in the U.S., and protections afforded by each state regarding race/religion/ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability, gender, and gender identity.
Reporting Hate Crimes/Hate Crime Statistics
- Asian Americans Advancing Justice: records hate crimes and hate/bias incidents in English, Chinese, Korean, and Vietnamese.
- South Asian Americans Leading Together (SAALT): records hate crimes and hate/bias incidents against the South Asian, Sikh, Muslim, and Arab communities.
- Asian Pacific Policy & Planning Council (A3PCON) Stop AAPI Hate Reports: weekly, monthly, and bi-monthly reports categorized by type of discrimination. Includes category for workplace discrimination.